Warning: strip_tags() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/praveen2/public_html/blog/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 631
Analytics is a system that gives data about your site. Information has to be interpreted from that data. This Information acts as an aid is decision making.
Analysis of Analytics data begins with a given underlining problem or a query.
Avinash Kaushik’s blog, which contains wealth of Web analytics information, is a must read for every one in this field.
1) Identify the objective of analysis. Define the problem.
A) To Improve Campaign Performance
i) How to increase conversion rates
ii) Which pages have higher pageviews, lower bounce rates and why?
iii) Which geolocation, keywords bring most loyal visitors?
iv) Can you retarget your new users?
v) Which referral sites gives low cost per acquisition? why?
B) Where to spend more money?
C) Where to reduce spends?
D) Which content/product is highly popular? Why?
E) Do you need to add more content, if yes, how often? which category of content?
F) Why is my market share going down?
2) Segmentation of Users: Divide your users into different segments based on your business objectives
A) Identifying visitors based on amount of time they spend on your site
B) Identify users based on length of time on site.
C) Identifying users based on frequency of visits to your site
D) Identifying users based on depth of visits/ number of pages viewed
E) Identifying users by repeat purchases on your site
F) Identifying users by gender
F) Identifying users by geo-location
G) Identifying users by value of purchase on your site.
H) Any additional segment valuable to your website.
Determine the segments most critical to your business, you may also give weights to each segment, for example returning visitors who visit once every 2 days may be the most critical segment for your website. You should be able to find data on above segments and cross-segments.
In a travel site may be returning visitors every month making a purchase may be very valuable. In a shopping site a new or returning visitors who visit more than one page on the site may be more valuable than returning visitors browsing just one page. In an Adsense site the important metric to be looked into is the depth of each visit irrespective of visitor being new or returning.
Based on your business, you need to segment the group of visitors to be monitored for better targeting of your marketing communication.
3) Segmentation of your Market. Based on your competition, quality of users on the site, determine various segments useful for business.
A) Segmentation based on Product Demand.
B) Segmentation on seasonal factors
C) Segmentation based on competition on certain product, geolocation, service.
Web Analytics is used for below main purposes.
- To keep a watch on regular Metrics of the site on a day-to-day basis.
- Provide required information to Marketing Team, and other teams.
- To increase performance of Online Marketing Campaigns
- To identify, segment users visiting your site.
- Traffic Sources and amount of marketing effort needed on each medium
- Identifying medium for each segment.
- To find evidence for occurrence of particular event/action. To help in creating better content in the website.
- Identify geo location of each segment of users visiting your site.
- Identifying content viewed by each segment of users.
- By identifying Top exit pages, Top bounce rate on pages.
- Average Time spent by users in each page.
Segment Visitors based on the value they provide to your business, then create Goals and work to attaining those goals along with strong measurement techniques.
Identify visitors who are valuable and loyal, customize services for them…
Find out which content on your site these each segment of visitors actually view and how long.
1) Understand the needs of your users’ who visit your website.
A) Understand the needs of each segment of users..
B) Determine the content each of your segment browses
C) Even remote need of small percentage of users must not be ignored. It might help you in creating new products which could get more such visitors back to your site.
2) Provide required information to Marketing Team, and other teams before finalizing strategies.
This would help them assess the amount of effort required on external advertising and internal optimization. Read more about Marketing ROI on Avinash’s Blog.
If you would like to grow your visitors by 100%, then push marketing can do it by 20% & pull marketing can get you remaining 80%.
Reading some of the Best Web Analytics Blogs is must read for anyone in this field, some of them are:
End of Article …………….
No related posts.