Every Company into Online Marketing and advertising are concerned about their return of investment..
In Search Engine optimization the cost incurred are mainly is on effort, time, agency cost/employee cost. While as in Search Engine Marketing, the costs are Advertising cost(which is CPC, CPA, CPM etc) and the cost of time/effort.
It is necessary to track the value derived from Visitor Engagement on the site and revenue generated,
Visitor Engagement Tracking
Visitor engagement depends on objective and size of the business,
1) Defining Visitor Engagement depends completely on the content present on your web site.
a. On a Shopping site: Engagement has to be product sale, product search etc..
b. On a Blog: It is the number of comments posted, subscribing RSS feeds, Average time spent on the site, No of page views per visit can be engagement metric.
c. On a Corporate Business Site: People might just visit to pick up telephone number, address of the business. Therefore none of the metrics work.
d. On a News Site: It is number of subscription RSS,Email. It is again time spent on article, number of comments posted, no of page views per visit.
e. On a Forum site: Registrations are a value.
f. Software Downloads Site: Number of downloads are a value.
2) Getting Users to Subscribe your RSS feed is a value. These users will read your content more than repeat visitors. It shows the measure of content popularity.
3) Users favourite the page, site in social bookmarking sites, social network & media sites like Digg.com, Reddit.com, Del.icio.us, stumbleupon.com is also a value provided by SEM traffic.
4) If Links to your blog post increases from SEM traffic, due to people positing your link elsewhere in answers etc, then it is a big value..
5) Users might land on specific detail page pick up the phone and dial the number given on page. Measuring telephone call rate is necessary.
6) For smaller business getting targeted traffic to their website is a value, since it adds to brand building etc.. if not sales..
7) For larger websites, brand is already in place, hence traffic which has a direct effect on revenue is more of a value than mere traffic from.
If the mode of revenue generation is advertising then attracting just traffic, might be worth
For small shopping sites setting up ecommerce tracking is very useful and necessary
This can be done by using the option present in Analytics Settings à Profile Settings àEdit. Give details of Currency, decimal places etc.
Tracking Ecommerce Transaction through Google Analytics
Once you opted Ecommerce tracking, you must edit the receipt page, which is the page after transaction, install a script into this page passing the order value into the Analytics system. Google has provided a comprehensive material on setting up ecommerce transaction.
For other business they need to monitor, track the objective of SEM campaigns. If not the engagement of the visitor on the site.
Optimizing SEO, SEM Campaigns
1) Generally Specific Keywords have higher conversion rate but are lower in volume
2) It is important to add as many new specific long tail keywords as possible…it need effort in research on new keywords on regular intervals.
3) The Head of the keyword list is pretty much fixed with little variations but more effort has to be made in making the tail longer…..that is where maximum effort and time as it can change the ROI of the campaigns.
4) Competitive keywords are always costly and extra effort can change CPC minimally…
a. However the efforts has to be done on Landing page creation..
b. Small changes in conversion rate by new landing page optimizations can dramatically increase ROI
5) Constant Generation of long tail keywords and new keywords are always the key…
6) Using different landing pages for each set of keywords is very good
a. Domain name keywords can be landed on home page
b. Category Specific Headings can be landed on respective section on the site
c. Product keywords or Specific keywords must be landed on inner most pages of the site or respective product pages.
7) Make sure your website ranks for all brand terms including the misspellings of your domain name etc..
a. This can be done by creating a page with list of all misspelled keywords
Using Misspellings can be a great way of generating low cost traffic…but remember there can be 2 types of users typing misspellings
a. Users who accidently typed a misspelling, will most likely click on “Did you mean – Correct Spelling”
b. Users who are uneducated or illiterate,
So you need to decide on keeping such keywords based on the quality of traffic you generate
9) For Large Websites tracking of every keyword to last metric of calculating business ROI is essential…For example:
a. Banking website could track the number of savings accounts, number of loans applied per every keyword along other details such as location, amount of loan, income of user and other other quality measurements which will help determine the quality of keyword.
b. This will help them to make a decision of increase bid rates, adding more same kind of keywords etc..
10) Track phone Calls, If you are running a Click to Call Campaign then provide the keyword which generated the call to call center executive. After the call process collect the feedback of the user and measure the business quality of the keyword, which is again fed back into the Adwords campaigns.